Remember Deafness causes mnemonic: “TINY MANGO“
Causes of hearing loss and deafness
Although these factors can be encountered at different periods across the life span, individuals are most susceptible to their effects during critical periods in life. (Ref)
- genetic factors including hereditary and non-hereditary hearing loss
- intrauterine infections – such as rubella and cytomegalovirus infection.
- birth asphyxia (a lack of oxygen at the time of birth
- hyperbilirubinemia (severe jaundice in the neonatal period)
- low-birth weight
- other perinatal morbidities and their management.
Childhood and adolescence
- chronic ear infections (chronic suppurative otitis media)
- collection of fluid in the ear (chronic nonsuppurative otitis media)
- meningitis and other infections.
Adulthood and older age
- chronic diseases
- age-related sensorineural degeneration
- sudden sensorineural hearing loss.
Factors across the life span
- cerumen impaction (impacted ear wax)
- trauma to the ear or head
- loud noise/loud sounds
- ototoxic medicines
- work related ototoxic chemicals
- nutritional deficiencies
- viral infections and other ear conditions
- delayed onset or progressive genetic hearing loss.
You can remember the important causes with the above mentioned DEAFNESS Causes Mnemonic
Check other Medical Visual Mnemonics: Click here
A Visual Learning Platform