Constipation Causing Drugs Mnemonic: “CONSTIPAtion”
What is constipation
Constipation is a condition in which you may have:
- fewer than three bowel movements a week
- stools that are hard, dry, or lumpy
- stools that are difficult or painful to pass
- a feeling that not all stool has passed
However, people can have different bowel movement patterns, and only you know what’s normal for you.
Constipation is not a disease, but may be a symptom of another medical problem. Constipation may last for a short or long time.
In this blog we have given an easy way to remember the drugs that can cause constipation.
Constipation causing drugs mnemonic:
Here is the Mnemonic – “CONSTIPAtion”
C = Calcium channel blockers
N = gaNglion blockers
S = Sulphate barium
T = TCA & Thalidomide
I = Ion exchange resins
P = Phenothiazines
A = Aluminium hydroxide
This mnemonic will help you to remember the drugs causing constipation.
Other causes of constipation:
- Lack of exercise
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Ignoring bowel syndrome
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- Not enough fiber in the diet
- Not enough liquids
- Problems with intestinal function due to colon cancer, rectal cancer, rectocele, etc.
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Neurological problems that can damage the nerves involved in contraction and movement of stools through the intestines
- Changes in habits or lifestyle, such as travel, pregnancy and old age.
- Weekend pelvic muscles
- Some metabolic conditions like Hyperparathyroidism, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes
Visit the Bookshop section of our website www.medinaz.com & install Medinaz App for Medinaz visual mnemonic & High-yield books.
A Visual Learning Platform